Friday, April 16, 2010

How to teach your toddler to call 911.

I know two years old is a little young to teach a child to call 911; however, you never know when you are going to be a home alone when tragedy strikes and the only person that you can depend on is your toddler.
I taught my toddler at age two to call the police by first teaching her to count to ten (Reference the blog, "Preparing your toddler for kindergarten."). After I taught her to count to ten, I taught her the three numbers 911. At this point, a parent could rest easy if the child is using the house phone, because the emergency operator already will see your address. The problem arises if the toddler has to use the cell phone, but that is another whole issue to be discussed in another blog. Lastly, be carefully after teaching your toddler how to call 911, weekly visits from your friendly neighborhood police officer may not be uncommon.

No comments:

Post a Comment